Porteus is a fast, portable and modular live CD/USB medium based on Slackware Linux. The distribution started as a community remix of Slax, another Slackware-based live CD, with KDE 3 as the default desktop for the i486 edition and a stripped-down KDE 4 as the desktop environment for the x86_64 flavour. The lightweight LXDE is available as an alternative desktop environment.
- Lightning-fast boot time
- Can be run from USB Flash drives, CDROM’s, DVDROM’s, hard disks, flash card devices, or just about any device you can get your PC to boot from!
- LZMA2 (xz) compression for modules
- Changes to the system (customization, downloaded files, browser history and favorites, etc) can be saved persistently to your USB or hard drive, or you can boot into
- ‘Always Fresh’ mode, and no changes to your system will be saved anywhere
- Support for dozens of languages
- A dependency-resolving package manager written just for Porteus, with built-in access to 5 slackware repositories.
- Porteus-specific scripts for creating and manipulating modules, network configuration (wifi included), language selection, and much more
- Updated installers for linux and windows
- “Porteus Settings Centre” which serves as a central location for updating, installing, managing settings, viewing system information, and much more.
- Graphical Desktop Environment (KDE4, LXQT, MATE, or XFCE)
Download Porteus: http://build.porteus.org/