Android-x86 is an unofficial initiative to port Google’s Android mobile operating system to run on devices powered by Intel and AMD x86 processors, rather than RISC-based ARM chips. The project began as a series of patches to the Android source code to enable Android to run on various netbooks and ultra-mobile PCs, particularly the ASUS Eee PC.
Chih-Wei Huang has announced the availability of the first release candidate for Android-x86 6.0, an upcoming new version of the project’s unofficial port of Google’s Android to standard desktop and laptop computers. This release is based on Android “Marshmallow” and is the first one to support the x86_64 processor architecture:
“The Android-x86 project is glad to announce the 6.0-rc1 release. This is the first release candidate for the Android-x86 6.0 (marshmallow-x86) stable release. The 6.0-rc1 release is based on the latest Android Marshmallow-MR2 release (6.0.1_r46). The key features include: supports both 32-bit and 64-bit kernel and userspace; update Linux kernel to 4.4.12; support OpenGL ES 3.x hardware acceleration for Intel, AMD (radeon, radeonsi) and NVIDIA (nouveau) chipsets, as well as VMware and QEMU (virgl); support OpenGL ES 3.0 via software rendering for other GPUs or no GPU devices; support secure booting from UEFI and installing to UEFI disk; able to install to ext4, NTFS and FAT32 file systems via a GUI installer….“
The 6.0-rc1 release is based on the latest Android Marshmallow-MR2 release (6.0.1_r46). The key features include
- Supports both 32-bit and 64-bit kernel and userspace.
- Update kernel to 4.4.12.
- Support OpenGL ES 3.x hardware acceleration for Intel/AMD(radeon/radeonsi)/Nvidia(nouveau) chipsets, as well as VMware and QEMU(virgl).
- Support OpenGL ES 3.0 via software rendering for other GPUs or no GPU devices.
- Support secure booting from UEFI and installing to UEFI disk.
- Be able to install to ext4/ntfs/fat32 filesystems via a text based GUI installer.
- Upgrading from older android-x86 release is improved. Older release using ext2/ext3 filesystem will be converted to ext4 for better reliability.
- Support Multi-touch, Audio, Wifi, Bluetooth, Sensors, Camera and Ethernet (DHCP only).
- Auto-mount external usb drive and sdcard.
- Support foreign archs (arm / arm64) via the native bridge mechanism. (Settings -> Apps Compatibility)
Powered by the Linux kernel 4.4.12 LTS, Android-x86 6.0 RC1 is based upon the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow release of the mobile operating system. It includes many exciting new features, such as support for both 64-bit and 32-bit kernel and user-space, OpenGL ES 3.x hardware acceleration support for Intel, Nvidia and AMD Radeon GPUs, and SecureBoot (UEFI) support.
Download Android x86: http://www.android-x86.org/download